Dandruff makes the hair appear dull, lifeless, and causes an uncomfortable feeling of itchiness. Although shampoos can calm and relax the scalp, others may contain ingredients that damage hair roots and follicles. As such, we have highlighted some of the causes of dandruff and examples of natural ingredients that relieve it and promote hair growth.
What is Dandruff and What Causes It?
Dandruff is a skin condition that causes dry crusts of white dead skin cells on the human scalp. Some of the causes include not shampooing the hair often, irritated scalp, and hypersensitivity to hair products. Moreover, dandruff cause hair damage, breakage, and can be embarrassing. Therefore, we have highlighted some of the natural ingredients that people can use to eliminate the condition.
Egg yolk and Olive Oil Hair Mask for Dandruff
Egg Yolk is rich in vitamin A and fatty acids which makes the hair glossy. Additionally, the egg yolk prevents dandruff while the olive maintains a healthy scalp and hair.
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- Two egg yolks.
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until they all blend.
- Apply the mixture into your hair working your way from the roots to the tip evenly.
- Leave the mixture on your hair for an hour.
- Wash off the hair mask with a mild sulfate-free shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice a week.
Onion Hair Mask for Dandruff
Onions are rich in antifungal and antibacterial properties. They can help eliminate dandruff, reduce fungus, and promote hair growth.
- One large onion
- Blend the onion into a fine paste.
- Apply the paste into your hair from the roots to the tips and leave it for an hour.
- Rinse the hair off with a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
- Repeat weekly
Aloe Vera Hair Mask for Dandruff
Aloe Vera is rich in antibacterial, antiseptic, and antifungal properties that enable it to fight off the fungus causing dandruff.
- Five tablespoons of pure aloe Vera gel
- Three drops of jojoba oil.
- Mix the five tablespoons of pure aloe Vera gel with the three drops of jojoba oil.
- Apply the mixture on your hair starting from the roots while progressing to the tips.
- Leave it for thirty minutes before rinsing off your hair with lukewarm water.
Garlic and Honey Hair Mask for Dandruff
Garlic is rich in the selenium compound, which helps boost blood circulation for maximum nourishment. It also cleanses hair follicles, strengthens the roots, and prevents clogging.
- Five cloves of garlic
- Eight tablespoons of honey
- Grate the five pieces of garlic cloves into a bowl and let it settle for approximately ten minutes.
- After the ten minutes, add the eight tablespoons of honey and mix well.
- Apply the mixture into your hair from the roots to the tips and leave it in for approximately ten minutes.
- Rinse the mixture of your hair using a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
Yogurt, Honey and Lemon
Yogurt conditions and repairs damaged hair. The lemon juice is beneficial in ensuring the pH of the hair is at an appropriate level, while the honey improves dandruff and conditions the hair.
- One tablespoon of honey
- One tablespoon of lemon
- ½ cup of yogurt.
- Mix all the ingredients in on bowl.
- Apply the mixture into the hair starting from the roots while progressing onto the tips.
- Leave it for thirty minutes, and then wash off the mixture using sulfate-free shampoo and warm water.
Avocado Hair Mask for Dandruff
Avocados are great dandruff treatments since they effectively moisturize, and can reduce dry flakes and inflammation.
- One ripe avocado
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- Two tablespoons honey.
- Mash the avocado into a large bowl.
- Add in honey and olive oil and mix till they all blend.
- Apply the mixture into your hair and leave it for thirty minutes.
- Rinse off with a sulfate-free shampoo and warm water.
Green Tea and Peppermint Essential Oil Mask
Green tea is rich in antifungal properties that can help fight off the fungus that causes dandruff. Additionally, peppermint oil soothes the scalp while the vinegar provides a suitable pH for fighting off dandruff fungus.
- One cup of green tea
- Three drops of peppermint oil
- One teaspoon of white vinegar
- Combine all the ingredients in one bowl.
- Apply the mixture into your hair and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the mixture on your hair off using sulfate-free shampoo and lukewarm water.
Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Mask for Dandruff
Apple cider vinegar helps in creating the desired pH of the hair and reduces the product buildup, thus keeping dandruff out of the hair.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and the water into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution into your hair and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo and rinse it with warm water.
- Repeat twice a week.