When and why did men start wearing ties? What is the point of their existence?
- There are arguments that the tie directs a viewer’s attention downwards the wearer’s genitals because of the arrow like shape.
- Ties were the only chance men would have to throw in a little color on their dark suits and white shirts.
- It is the only item of male business attire that you can have any fun with at all. Women get to wear all sorts of lovely, bright colors.
4. The point of ties was to conceal the buttons on a shirt that are deemed more functional than attractive.
5. Part of the reason for this invention was so that men had a handkerchief nearby when they needed to blow their noses. (eew I know)
6. Ties are seen to give men an air of intelligence and authority far greater than they actually have.
7. A story is told that in ancient times when a man went off to battle, a lady in waiting or a wife would tie a scarf around his neck for safety and good luck in battle.
8. Shirts were always white and cotton and hence stained easily so a tie would cover the main ally of food and drink spills.
9. A tie is what shows your personality or which shows that we are going to do important work.
10. The tie was invented to be the uncomfortable reminder to the wearer to always pay attention to business.
11. Dogmatic wearing of the modern tie must have something to do with the military where people are told to obey rules without questioning. Some of the military rulers must have come to rule the corporate world and imposed the tie.